Friday, February 25, 2011

february dates

by Kristin


As part of our marriage building challenge, we decided to go through a book called  40 Unforgettable Dates with Your Mate.  Each of us planned a date for each other this past month. 

Nathan took me on a date to meet my need for friendship.  We went out to a nice, relaxed lunch, and he asked me about my childhood, my likes and dislikes, and how I was doing in general.  It was a great opportunity for him to find out more about my past as well as to check in with me.  I loved the opportunity to just talk.

I planned a date for him to meet his need for spiritual intimacy.  The book had a really eye-opening chapter on spiritual leadership...I never realized how difficult it is for men to be confident in their role as spiritual leaders!  I drove Nathan to Napa Valley and took him on a hike at Skyline Wilderness Park.  We've never been there before, and I was surprised at how nice it was, especially considering its proximity to the town of Napa.

Here are some of the sights from that hike...


We saw several deer grazing.  They were wary of us but didn't run away when we passed by.

Much of the hike followed this moss-covered stone wall up the mountain.

Lookout over Napa Valley

Our little lizard friend!  Is he a salamander?  We weren't sure.

Beautiful tree-lined path.


We passed an old foundation for a home - the chimney was the only thing left standing!

The lake at the end of the hike.

When we arrived at the lake (3 miles into the hike), we sat down to talk awhile about spiritual leadership.  I asked Nathan to tell me about his spiritual journey and childhood experiences with church.  Then, we talked about the challenges, triumphs, and struggles he faces as he tries to be a spiritual leader within our marriage.  Our conversation provided me with new ideas for encouraging him and provided insights on what my own role should be within our marriage.  
 

After we finished the hike, we headed for some great food from the Taylor's Refresher roadside stand in St. Helena.  We had a beautiful view of a rainbow the whole time we ate!


We were able to sit in a giant bubble of a tent to keep out of the breeze and stay warm. 


We had to order a chocolate shake.  They make chocolate shakes the way they should be made...with chocolate ice cream!


The onion rings were divine...


...and I really enjoyed the hamburger.



On our way home, we enjoyed a beautiful sunset over the valley.

1 comment:

We'd love to hear from you...keep in touch!